Howard Virgin Timber Park
The Howard Virgin Timber Park and James A. Bane Sesquicentennial Park are located just east of Le Roy, near the Le Roy Country Club and Oak Grove Cemetery. The Howard Virgin Timber Park was presented as a recreational site in 1956 when Mrs. T.H. Trevett—a childhood resident of the Le Roy Community—donated the 45-acre tract in memory of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. D.O. Howard. Then, in 1985 another tract of land—known as the James A. Bane Sesquicentennial Park—was donated by M. Louise Croft. The parks' purpose is to preserve Illinois' virgin timber lands and provide a place for local organizations such as Girl and Boy Scouts, 4-H Clubs, and Churches to hold meetings and events. Aside from a large meadow and vast expanses of virgin timber, the parks have been equipped with walking paths, pavilions and picnic areas, a fishing pond, primitive campsites, and most recently, a mountain bike path. Also hidden within the timber is the historical Howard Cemetery, established by settlers around 1850.
The pavillions and campsites can be reserved by contacting City Hall 309-962-3031 and submitting a Park Reservation Form
Reserved dates are marked on the Community Calendar.